After kicking off 2021 with a little inspiration last month, I thought some more thought provoking motivation from H. Jackson Brown Jr., author of one of my favorite books filled with inspirational quotes: Life’s Little Instruction Book would be refreshing. The book was a New York Times bestseller in 1991 with its sequel Life’s Little Instruction Book: Volume 2 also making it to the same best seller list in 1993.
Here’s a Few to Ponder
1. Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen every day.
2. Be brave. Even if you’re not, pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.
3. Think big thoughts, but relish small pleasures.
4. Overtip breakfast waitresses.
5. Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have.
6. Never resist a generous impulse.
7. Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
8. Never go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink.
9. Leave everything a little better than you found it.
10. Call your mother.
Jackson Brown originally wrote the book as a gift for his son who was leaving home to begin his freshman year in college. Brown says, “I read years ago that it was not the responsibility of parents to pave the road for their children but to provide a road map, and I wanted to provide him with what I had learned about living a happy and rewarding life. “Most of us already know how to live a successful and purposeful life,” says Brown. “We know we should be more understanding and thoughtful, more responsible, courageous and appreciative. It’s just that we sometimes need reminding.”
His publications are universal in appeal with more than 30 million copies in print. Available in 35 languages, his books inspire and enchant readers throughout the world. He lives in Nashville, Tennessee. The books have spawned calendars, posters, apparel items, daily journals, greeting cards, audiocassettes, screensavers and even fortune cookies.
An avid record collector, lover of all desserts and sometimes seen wearing multiple Swatch watches, Dave has been lending his voice for over 20 years heard on such prominent brands as Intel, RCA, Eddie Bauer, Kellogg‘s, Pizza Hut, Lexus, and infomercial giants Guthy-Renker and Beachbody. His narration projects include Japan’s preeminent automobile series Best Motoring International and Hot Version, along with GTChannel, QVC, Universal Music Enterprises, and ViSalus Sciences.