Created by the National Snack Food Association and the National Potato Promotion Board in 1989, National Snack Food Month was founded this month to increase consumption and raise awareness about snacking, and the importance of keeping it as healthy as we can.
When it comes to snacking (remember, this is the guy that had a pretty delicious candy list this past Halloween), the first think on my mind is not health, but as many Hostess snacks I can think of. Better yet, how about those Little Debbie Swiss Rolls. Now THAT’S a snack!
A Few Myths About Snacking
According to Live Well Nutrition and Therapy, here’s a few myths about snacking:
- Snacking is unhealthy – It’s not snacking that is unhealthy. It is what we snack on and how much we eat. An apple and an ounce of cheese are a perfectly healthy snack. Three donuts, not so much. If you know how to snack, then you will reap the benefits of snacking.
- Snacking ruins your appetite – If you graze all day long and never feel truly satisfied, then snacking could be an issue. But if you are eating a well-balanced snack that means you will less likely to be starving at the next meal.
- Snacking on foods with fat is B.A.D. – This is not true. We all require fat in our diets. Fat gives us energy and helps our bodies absorb nutrients. Fat also provides us with vitamins A, D, E and K. Choosing healthy fats is in our best interest, such as avocado, olive oil, nuts, and even dark chocolate. So, get on the band wagon and don’t be afraid of healthy fats.
How to Observe
To help you out, here’s a list of the healthiest snacks that you can easily throw together (assuming you don’t like my Hostess suggestions):
- Peanut butter and celery
- Low-fat yogurt with fruit
- String cheese and carrots
- Hummus on a whole-wheat tortilla
- Trail mix
- Low-fat popcorn
- High-fiber, low-sugar cereal with low-fat milk
- Turkey with spicy mustard rolled up in romaine lettuce
- Fruit or veggie smoothie
- Low-fat veggie dip with mixed veggies, high-fiber crackers
Ironically, February is also American Heart Month to draw attention to heart disease (potentially from all the unhealthy snacks being consumed).
Use #NationalSnackFoodMonth or #SnackFoodMonth to post your favorite snack choices on social media.
An avid record collector, lover of all desserts and sometimes seen wearing multiple Swatch watches, Dave has been lending his voice for over 20 years heard on such prominent brands as Intel, RCA, Eddie Bauer, Kellogg‘s, Pizza Hut, Lexus, and infomercial giants Guthy-Renker and Beachbody. His narration projects include Japan’s preeminent automobile series Best Motoring International and Hot Version, along with GTChannel, QVC, Universal Music Enterprises, and ViSalus Sciences.